Legacy Jewels

21 Sep

Whenever I go home, I have the opportunity to play dress up with some finer pieces that have been passed down from one generation to the next in my family. This time it was all about the natural pearls that emigrated with my great-grandmother from Germany during WWII. The pearl and diamond necklace and earrings are spectacular for their craftsmanship and timeless designs. Nevertheless, it’s knowing that they are heirlooms that help tell the story of the Holocaust, and my family’s love of art and perseverance, that is most meaningful. Here we are wearing the same earrings, 30+ years apart.

And here, the clasp on the necklace was originally my great grandmother’s engagement ring. As a piano teacher, she really got to show off her panache!

I’d love to hear your heirloom stories. Please email me at heyfrostthis@gmail.com for the chance to be featured here.

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Legacy Jewels”

1. Karen September 21, 2010 at 11:42 am #

Takes my breath away.

• Deena September 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

I love all the connections; linked pearls, clasp, and generational connection.

2. Monica September 22, 2010 at 11:50 am #

Thank you for sharing your story. This is why I love jewelry–for the meaning, story and legacy. With 2 young daughters, I am always thinking about how the jewelry I acquire goes far beyond my own enjoyment.

• Frost Yourself September 22, 2010 at 11:56 am #

Thanks Monica! Always helpful to hear what resonates. Do you pass things down on special occasions or have other ways of doing so?

• Monica September 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

Ha ha, at ages 3 and 6, I haven’t loaned them much yet (although they did play dress-up with my pearls one day, not necessarily with my permission :)). I’m sure when they are old enough we will do special occasion borrows, and I can’t wait to give them some family things when they hit certain milestones. I love your “dress up” comment, I think just trying things on and talking about the memories is valuable.

3. Frost Yourself September 26, 2010 at 8:04 am #

Sounds like 6 going on 16…love it! Another fun thing my Mom did was to buy pieces for me in advance of when I’d actually appreciate and wear them. So when she gave me a deco watch for my birthday while in elementary school, I was less than enthused. But boy am I appreciative to have it today! Thanks again for your comments.